Starts May 25, 2022
Wednesday evenings - 5:30 pm- 8:30 pm
Interpreting in healthcare settings can be emotionally and professionally challenging for the unprepared interpreter. This course will equip you to work in one of the most rewarding settings for interpreters. This intensive, interactive course will provide you with the fundamental skills to work in healthcare and medical settings confidently and competently. It not only provides in-depth instruction on essential medical and healthcare terminology, and the role of the interpreter in healthcare settings, but gives you the skills to continue your own professional development once you have completed the course.
This course will prepare you to take the CTTIC exam to become a Certified Medical Interpreter.
Course Title: Interpreting in Healthcare Settings
Length: 50 hours - 15 hours of live instruction plus an additional 30 - 35 hours of online, self-directed course materials.
Prerequisite: Interpreting in Community Settings - A Foundational Program
- The Role of the Healthcare Interpreter
- Medical and Healthcare Terminology
- Overview of the Canadian and B.C. Healthcare Systems
- Introduction to the Roles and Function of Health Care Practitioners and Personnel
- Models of Health and Well-being
- Managing the Interpreting Environment
- The Impact of Culture on Health and the Healthcare Interview
- Communication Skills for Healthcare Interpreters
- Where and How to find Work as a Healthcare Interpreter
- Student Manual included
Students that successfully complete this program will receive a Certificate of Completion