$629 + GST starts Spring 2020
Mental health settings can be one of the most complex of all the interpreting contexts. Combining health, culture, communication, the interpreter must navigate sensitive communication processes. This engaging and intensive educational program provides a unique training opportunity, the only one of its kind in Canada. This program will give interpreters the additional competencies to work in an area where specifically trained interpreters are in demand.
This course is currently only offered on request and can be scheduled on-site for an organization or run online via remote classroom learning. Please contact us for more information and current schedules.
Course Title: Interpreting in Mental Health Settings
Length: 45 hours - Healthcare Interpreting training/course is a prerequisite
- The dynamic and challenges of working as an interpreter in mental health settings
- The collaborative model of interpreting in mental health settings and the interpreter's role
- Mental health care system in Canada and BC, providers and practitioners
- Mental illnesses, treatments and pharmaceuticals/medications
- Cross-cultural issues in mental health and wellness
- Inter-cultural communication models
- Specialized terminology of mental health and illness
- Interpreter self-care and issues with vicarious trauma
- Guest experts and presentations Student Manual Included