Working as a community interpreter is a dynamic and exciting career. Interpreting is a highly specialized profession that requires strong inter-personal and language skills - in addition to critical knowledge and ability. This lively, intensive short-course program covers core skills and competencies required of interpreters and provides a good overview for new interpreters.
This course is now being offered online via remote classroom learning. The classes run Tuesday and Thursday evenings - 6:00pm - 9:00pm PST.
Course Title: Interpreting in Community Settings
Length: 35 hours
- The role of the Community Interpreter
- Critical skills for interpreters – memory, note-taking and listening
- Ethics and standards of practice
- Interpreting modes and settings
- The interpreting market place
- Interactive role – plays, case studies and lectures
- Resources and links Student Manual Included